Frequently Asked Questions

Can I do advising online?

Yes! You can make an appointment here.

The Psychology Department has also set up a group on Blackboard called Psychology Online Student Advising. You can request access to the group and ask questions there if you cannot make it into the department.


How do I make an appointment to speak with an advisor?

To make an advising appointment, go to Navigate Mason.

Psychology students are not assigned one advisor, you are free to see whichever advisor is available.  All of our advisors can sign change of major forms, review your degree evaluations, or double check to see if you are on track to graduate.


What classes do I need to take?

In order to receive a degree at Mason you will need to take at least 120 credits, 45 of which must be upper-level courses (300 or 400 level.) You will be required to spread these classes across the Mason Core requirements, College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS) requirements, and Major requirements. The best way for you to do this is to make an appointment to visit your advisor or by running your degree evaluation.


I know what requirements I need; I just need a signature on this major or minor paperwork. Do I need to make an appointment?

If you just need a quick signature, you can bring your document to David King Hall, room 2086. If an advisor is available, they will sign it right away. If one is not, we can hold it for them until one is.


How do I run my degree evaluation?

A degree evaluation is a great way to figure out what types of questions you should ask your advisor, and to just double check your progress. To run a degree evaluation, go to Patriot Web.

  1. Select the student services tab
  2. Select student records
  3. Select degree evaluation menu
  4. Degree evaluation should generate

Remember, it may take up to 24 hours for any changes to take effect on your degree evaluation.


How do I apply to graduate?

Graduation is not an automatic process. You will need to register via Patriotweb in the semester in which you wish to graduate. It is a good idea to double check with your advisor to make sure you have met all requirements needed for graduation, and pay attention to emails from your advisor and the registrar. You can get more information regarding how to apply for graduation via the registrar's website.

If you have questions regarding the ceremony itself, please check the Office of University Events' website, which will have information about tickets, where to be, and start times.


What are the differences between the Bachelor of Science (BS) and the Bachelor of Arts (BA) Degrees?

There are many differences in the number of courses that are required for the BS and the BA Degree, and it is recommended you look at the Program of Study for both and evaluating your skill sets before making a decision. But a quick answer would be: the BA requires the foreign language requirement, and the BS is more science-focused, requiring an additional lab and a technical writing requirement.


What is my catalog year?

Your catalog year is the semester and year you entered George Mason University. This means that you will follow the catalog requirements as it pertains to that year as you move through your degree.  This is important because often times catalog requirements can change. Even when these requirements change, you will only be responsible for following the catalog requirements for your catalog year.

It is possible there may be instances in which you may want to follow different catalog requirements, such as if a new concentration is added, or if a requirement is changed that better suits your future goals. In that instance, you should schedule a meeting with an advisor.


What is the difference between Double Major vs. Double Degree

A Double major entails earning a Bachelor of Art or Bachelor of Science in two subject areas. Students need to complete the requirements of each major in addition to general education requirements. Students interested in a double major must meet with an advisor in each department.

A Double Degree completes the requirements for two different types of degrees, such as a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science in different majors. Students must detail a program of study for each degree and obtain departmental approval. In order to graduate with two degrees, students need to complete a minimum of 30 GMU credits beyond those required by either degree individually.

If you are considering either of these, it is highly recommended you meet with an advisor.


Why is there a hold on my record?

Your Advisors cannot view why there is a hold on your record. This may be the result of overdue fees, such as from a library book, unpaid academic fees, missing immunization records, or a parking ticket. It may also be for academic reasons. You can view the reason for your hold via Patriotweb.

When you have a hold on your account, you cannot register for classes, adjust your schedule, or perform any action that would affect your academic status.


What happens when I retake a course?

If you retake a course, only the score from the second course will apply to your GPA or the fulfilled requirement.  However, both grades will show on your transcript and graduate schools’ admission departments may average these grades.  If you retake a class it must be retaken at Mason, not another institution, for the grade replacement to occur.


Can I take summer classes at another school?

Yes. You can still take up to 6 credits at another school.  However, the course must be approved prior to you taking the course. You can use the study elsewhere form found here.

Keep in mind that you can only have up to 60 credits transferred in for a George Mason University Degree, and this will include any credits you put towards studying elsewhere. So if you have 57 credits at another institution, you can only get approved for 3 additional credits elsewhere.


Can I do more than one concentration?

Yes, you are more than welcome to do more than one concentration. Please keep in mind, however, that you cannot share classes or credits across concentrations, and you must fulfill all the requirements for each concentration. 


What is the Unique Credit requirement for my minor?

Unique Credits are those that count towards the minor and nothing else. That means they can’t go to fulfill a Mason Core Requirement, your major, or any other minors in which you are currently enrolled. This is something that is manually checked at the time of graduation, so it is recommended that you check this information by going to your PatriotWeb or with your advisor at the start of each semester.

Because this is checked manually, it is the last thing that is checked when you apply to graduate. It may show as “needed” on your degree evaluation for a little bit longer than also requirements. If you are concerned, please check with an advisor for your minor when you apply to graduate.


How do I get the foreign language requirement waived?

Students who are native speakers of a language other than English may be eligible to waive their GMU foreign language requirement. A waiver simply means that the student has already fulfilled this particular requirement and, as such, need not take any additional coursework in foreign languages. The waiver does not grant credit and it does not exempt the student from completing the necessary 120 credit hours for graduation.

In order to get this waiver granted, you will need to visit the Department of Modern and Classical Languages and follow the instructions for testing.

Students will be responsible for finding a testing service or someone fluent in the language to provide an exam.

Please note that the Department of Modern and Classical Languages will not accept language exams administered by someone with whom students have a personal relationship, such as a family member.


What section of ENGH 302 should I take?

ENGH 302 is a requirement for all Mason students, and is offered frequently. The Psychology Department recommends that you take the Social Sciences section of ENGH 302. If no Social Sciences classes are available, it is recommended you take a Humanities section of the course. However, there is no hard restriction on this course, and you are free to take anything you would like.

Please keep in mind that this course requires the completion of at least 45 credits, which is enforced by the Patriotweb system.


How can I get credit for an internship?

Internships, practicums, and experiential learning opportunities are an important part of your college education. The Psychology Department has set up several avenues for you to get experience for this experience. 

Once you have an internship, you can sign up to take PSYC 327 or 328 for course credit. 

If you would like to do a practicum, you can sign up for PSYC 430.

Please visit the Handshake website for help in finding internships, and make sure you pay attention to our Undergraduate Research Opportunities website. 


How does the Accelerated Master's Program work?

The Accelerated Master’s Program is a series of courses by which students have the opportunity to complete their Master’s Degree (MA) at the same time as their BA or BS.  This is done by taking some MA classes as an undergraduate.

Students can sign up for the Accelerated Master’s Program if they have between 75-90 credits and if they have a 3.0 overall GPA, and a 3.25 GPA in Psychology courses. It is highly recommended that students also reach out to a lab with which they would like to work. Please meet with your advisor if you have questions about your eligibility.


Who do I contact if my transfer credit or IB/AP/CLEP scores aren’t showing up on my record?

You should contact the Office of Admissions.

Please note that after the first academic year, you cannot transfer in additional scores.


When/how do I apply to graduate?

Graduation is not an automatic process. You should apply to graduate the semester you have completed all requirements for your degree. You can apply to graduate via Patriotweb.

Full instructions on how to do so, as well as what other requirements are needed, can be found on the registrar’s website here.

If you have questions regarding the ceremony itself, please check here.


Why can't I register for some classes, even though they may not be full?

Some classes are restricted for certain reasons. A partial list of reasons that you may not be able to register for a class can be found on the registrar's website.

Pay attention to the section numbers. Any section number with a "K" in it represents a course taught on our Korean campus, and you will receive a Campus Restriction notification.