University Resources

General Concerns

General concerns about policies, procedures, people, or situations in the Graduate Psychology program can be shared with the Associate Chair for Graduate Studies, Dr. Tyler Shaw, or with the Department Chair, Dr. Tim Curby.

The Graduate Administrator (Coordinator) is Tanie Boeddeker

Dr. Shaw's Signature may be required on some documents. 

Depending on the nature of the concern, the Associate Chair or Chair will take appropriate steps to address the concern. Please refer to our Graduate Grievance Policy if you have any questions. 

Please consult the Graduate Student Handbook for official University policies.

Information about appealing your grade can be found at the link provided. 


George Mason has a full-service bookstore located on the main level of the Johnson Center. Students may order books online, check textbook requirements by class/section and purchase Mason gear. During the first week of the fall and spring semesters, the bookstore is traditionally open for extended hours. The University Bookstore website has more information.

Center for Teaching Excellence

The Center offers a range of support and learning opportunities for graduate student instructors across Mason's campuses. The website of the Center for Teaching & Faculty Excellence has more information.

The Office of Compliance, Diversity, and Ethics

This office ensures that the university adheres to Equal Employment Opportunity and civil right laws, including the Americans with Disabilities Act, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, and affirmative action regulations. They also provide training and guidance to make sure all departments are in compliance with these policies. 

To file a report with the office of Compliance, Diversity, and Ethics, please fill out this form


Counseling Services

Area counseling centers provide a wide range of services to students in need of assistance. Contact them directly for consultations and fee schedules.

If there is a concern about a student, or to take advantage of their services, please contact the Center for Counseling and Psychological Services

Defense Submissions

All students defending their dissertations will be required to announce their dissertations 21 days prior to their defense. They will need to send the following information to Tanie Boeddeker, the Graduate Coordinator.

1. Name

2. Dissertation Director Name

3. Dissertation Committee Members

4. Title of Dissertation

5. Abstract

6. Date and time of Dissertation 

7. Location

Times and dates for currently scheduled Dissertation Defenses can be located here

Disability Services

Disability Services at George Mason University is committed to upholding the letter and spirit of the laws that ensure equal treatment of people with disabilities.  Under the administration of University Life, Disability Services implements and coordinates reasonable accommodations and disability-related services that afford equal access to university programs and activities.  Students can begin the registration process with Disability Services at any time during their enrollment at George Mason University.  If you are seeking accommodations, please visit the Disability Service Website for detailed information about the Disability Services registration process.


Most funding for graduate study is at the departmental level. Departments have funds to recruit outstanding applicants, and some faculty support graduate students with external research funding. For more information, contact the director of your graduate program (links to right). Departments generally make these kinds of funding awards.

However, official CHSS regulations and information regarding funding can be found here

Graduate Fellowships

Graduate fellowships are awards that provide support to master's and doctoral students for research, writing, fieldwork, language study, professional development, or independent projects undertaken in conjunction with a degree program. The Office of Graduate Fellowships works to increase awareness, participation, and success in extramural fellowship competitions among Mason's graduate students, with an emphasis on nationally competitive awards.

Graduate Student Travel Fund

George Mason University recognizes the importance of professional development for its graduate students. The Graduate Student Travel Fund was created for the purpose of facilitating its students’ development outside the classroom. More information can be found at the fund's website.


George Mason has five libraries, two of which are located on the Fairfax Campus. The University Libraries website has hours of operation, directions, and services offered.

Policies and Procedures for Graduate Students

The Department of Psychology is under the College of Humanities and Social Sciences. While there are some rules that are specific to the Department, any questions about official University Policy within the CHSS can be found on the CHSS Policies and Procedures Website. On this page you can find the official University polices on time extensions, credit overloads, termination appeals, withdrawals, and other formal policies that the department needs to follow.

Office of the University Registrar

The role of the Office of the University Registrar is to serve as stewards of academic information by creating, maintaining, certifying, and protecting student course, degree, and student records. This is where a student would go for official semester calendars and University policies. 

Student Conduct 

The Office of Student Conduct is the primary resource for any questions regarding official University policy. This is the office you would go to if you had questions on student policy, or if you needed to report a disruptive student. If students are found to have been in violation of any official policy, this office will assist students through the adjudication process. The office strives to turn potential incidents of misconduct into opportunities for the facilitation of education and student development. 

To file an incident report, please fill out a form

Student Support and Advocacy

The Student Support and Advocacy Center provides Mason students support services to explore healthy life choices. They offer educational programming, one-on-one consultations, and resources in the areas of sexual and interpersonal violence, financial well-being, substance use, and collegiate recovery. 

If you wish to request their resources, please fill out this form or visit their website.

Title IX Resources

Title IX prohibits discrimination on the basis of sex in educational programs or activities. George Mason University takes sexual and interpersonal misconduct seriously and is committed to providing an inclusive, safe, and welcoming environment for all members of its community. The Office of Compliance, Diversity and Ethics has an office dedicated to education regarding Title IX policies, making reports, providing guidance regarding Title IX violations, or providing training for student services. 

To make a report, please fill out this form or visit their website. 

University Dissertation and Thesis Services

All students writing a dissertation or thesis will be required to submit their work for a format review and turn in all in all signature sheets into Fenwick Library, typically by the last Friday of classes. Deadlines for this can be found in University Thesis and Dissertation Services Website

Writing Center

The Writing Center provides tutoring and delivers our workshops meant to help help students, faculty, and staff with their written work. They work with writers through all stages of the writing process from brainstorming and organizing to revising and polishing. To make an appointment or view a full list of their services, visit their website.

Work Authorization Form

George Mason University policy limits graduate students to working no more than 20-hours per week as graduate assistants, graduate lecturers and/or in student wage positions. Students seeking to work more than 20 hours/week (but no more than 30) must obtain permission from both their academic/faculty advisor and the graduate associate dean of their home academic unit prior to accepting an additional appointment. This requirement applies whether the student is appointed in one or in multiple academic units. The Work Authorization Form is found here.