COVID19 Resources and Frequently Asked Questions

For up to date official information regarding how George Mason University is working on the Coronavirus/COVID-19 situation, please go to the official University Website. This is the best place to get information regarding official University policy changes.

Safe Return to Campus. George Mason University has recently announced it's Safe Return to Campus plan. Details of which can be found here.

Notification Guidelines. If you are an employee who has tested positive for COVID-19, have been tested and don't have results, or have symptoms, please review the university's guidelines located here.

Guidelines for students, faculty, staff, and contractors. If you need guidance on getting tested, where to go to care, or returning to campus, please review the information located here

The Safe Return to Campus training can be located on the Provost's Website. Please make sure you review it before coming to campus. 


Frequently asked questions about how COVID-19 may affect your semester

Where can I find mental health resources during this time?

The Center for Psychological Services has put together a resource page to help with coping during this time. You can find a link to that page here

What if I need temporary funding during this time?

George Mason University has set up an emergency funding program to help students with unexpected costs that come with switching in housing, moving online, or other expenses related to the COVID-19 closures. 

Link to application is here.

You will see on the application examples of types of expenses we plan on funding and some that we will not fund.  Since the situation is rapidly evolving, we will adjust our website to reflect any changes as necessary.

Can I still meet with an academic advisor?

Our academic advisors are available to help you as usual through many different methods. You can schedule an appointment, through usual, through Navigate Mason. Once you have scheduled your appointment, you will be contacted by an advisor to set up a meeting via Webex. 

You can also ask a question by emailing There is also a Psychology Online Advising Blackboard Organization you can join to look at discussion groups. 

Can I still get this document signed?

Yes. Absolutely, you can email the document to, and we will e-sign any document that we can. 

How will this affect my Dissertation or Thesis Defense?

The Final Submission deadline for the regular Fall 2020 Semester is 5:00 p.m. on Friday, December 4.

You can email University Dissertation and Thesis Services at for any questions, or to set up a virtual meeting. 

You can still conduct your thesis or dissertation defense via online meeting, and you can still get electronic signatures in order to turn in your defense during this time.